Naomi Osaka moved up from one spot to second in the WTA rankings released on Monday after her success at the Australian Open, as she won her fourth Grand Slam title.
The Japanese star beat American Jennifer Brady in straight sets in the final to win the trophy in Melbourne for the second time in three years.
Osaka, 23, trades places with Simona Halep, the Romanian falling third after losing to Serena Williams in the quarterfinals.
Williams climbs four places to place seventh despite once again falling short of a 24th major. The American was beaten by Osaka in the semifinals.
Brady, 25, a semi-finalist at last year’s US Open, reached a career-high 13th thanks to his best Grand Slam performance to date.
Ashleigh Barty remains world number one despite losing in the last eight to Karolina Muchova, who climbed five places to 22nd.
WTA ranking on February 22:
1. Ashleigh Barty (AUS) 9186 pts
2. Naomi Osaka (JPN) 7835 (+1)
3. Simona Halep (ROM) 7255 (-1)
4. Sofia Kenin (United States) 5760
5. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 5370
6. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 5205
7. Serena Williams (United States) 4915 (+4)
8. Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) 4810 (-1)
9. Bianca Andreescu (CAN) 4735
10. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 4571 (-2)
Kiki Bertens (NED) 4505 (-1)
12. Belinda Bencic (SUI) 4010
13. Jennifer Brady (United States) 3765 (+11)
14. Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 3535 (-1)
15. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 3320 (-1)
16. Johanna Konta (GBR) 3206 (-1)
17. Elise Mertens (BEL) 3060 (-1)
18. Iga Swiatek (POL) 3014 (-1)
19. Madison Keys (United States) 2962 (-1)
20. Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) 2952
To subscribe to INQUIRE MORE to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download at 4 a.m. and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
For comments, complaints or inquiries, Contact us.