The UK and the EU could approach a deadlock over the Northern Ireland protocol, as the two sides are set to present their approach to the intensive talks due to start later this month.

The protocol was implemented to prevent a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland following Brexit, and keeping Northern Ireland in the EU’s single goods market.

In a speech in Lisbon on Tuesday, Brexit Minister Lord Frost will outline the UK’s approach to the ongoing dispute, while the EU is expected to announce its plans on Wednesday.

After reports that the UK will demand the removal of European Court of Justice (ECJ) oversight from the deal, Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney took to Twitter to criticize the approach.

Highlighted

The Penelope project takes off in the UK

Highlighted

BASC logo

Environment Secretary Highlights Benefits of Shooting Conservation

Lord Frost retaliated, Tweeter: “1. I prefer not to negotiate via twitter, but since then @simoncoveney started the process…… the issue of governance and the CJEU is not new. We set out our concerns three months ago in our July 21 command document. The problem is, too few people seem to have listened.

He continued, “2. We are awaiting proposals from @MarosSefcovic. We will look at them seriously and positively whatever they say. We will discuss it seriously and intensely. But there has to be a significant change to the current situation for there to be a positive outcome. ”

Thomas Byrne, Irish Minister for European Affairs, told BBC Radio 4 Today on Monday morning that he believes “everyone is looking for a way to make the protocol work better … and this is certainly the case on the side. European ”and said that European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic had spent a lot of time talking with residents of Northern Ireland about their hopes.

He said the EU’s response on Wednesday will be “generous” and recognize “some of the challenges” of the deal.

He said he was “very confident” that the EU’s proposals would address what he saw as the “practical concerns of businesses and traders” in the UK region and improve trade between NI and the Republic and between NI. and the United Kingdom.

While he said the European Commission had “gone the extra mile” in crafting these plans, he suggested that the removal of ECJ surveillance was a “hugely academic matter” and that the “problems to to solve are practical problems “.

Last week it was reported that the European Commission would offer an exception to the protocol that would allow ‘national identity products’ such as sausages to enter the region, despite general EU rules restricting chilled meats. from non-EU countries.

Over the summer, the possibility that stores in Northern Ireland will be banned from selling British sausages after the protocol’s grace period expires brought the UK and the EU to the brink of war commercial.

Former Labor MP and independent counterpart Baroness Kate Hoey last week told BBC Two’s Politics Live that “the Prime Minister knows the protocol should never have been signed.”

In September, Brexit Minister Lord Frost told the House of Lords it would be a “serious mistake” to assume the UK would not trigger Article 16, the Northern Ireland part of the Protocol. which authorizes the temporary suspension of elements of the agreement if they are proven. be at the origin of “serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties likely to persist, or of trade diversion”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *