The Monaco Grand Prix, arguably the most emblematic race on the Formula 1 calendar, will take place at the end of May with 7,500 spectators, the Principality’s government announced on Tuesday.
Spectators coming from outside the Principality will all be required to present proof of a negative PCR test when crossing the border and entering the enclosure of the road circuit.
“It is important that it takes place both with minimal public participation and under the best sanitary conditions,” said Minister of State Pierre Dartout.
Canceled last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this year’s race of May 23 has sold “already 4,000 tickets”, according to Christian Tornatore, commissioner general of the Automobile Club de Monaco.
These “7,500 tickets represent one in three to allow distancing,” he said.
Only 3,000 will be allowed for practice on Friday.
There will be no restriction on the origin of the public, notwithstanding the PCR tests for those arriving in Monaco. Staff will be trained to detect any falsified test.
Residents and employees of the Principality and Monegasques are exempt from the tests.
“We are all committed to ensuring that it takes place in the best possible conditions, both for what it represents economically, particularly in the hotel and restaurant sector, but also for the image of the Principality ”, declared Dartout.
The Monaco GP, which first took place in 1929, is the fifth on this year’s 23-race calendar.
To subscribe to INQUIRE MORE to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 a.m. and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
For comments, complaints or inquiries, Contact us.